It may be cheating? Novels and other books

General chit chat.
AJs

It may be cheating? Novels and other books

Post by AJs »

Hi all
This post is in no way meant to be negative and certainly not unique.

As I have been getting through the various radio/audio shows, it strikes me that the same questions keep coming up over and over. People are inevitably referred to "READ THE DAMN BOOKS". Given knowledge of myself, time availability and "sorry to say" attention span along with neck kinks... I cheated. I hope my solution will prove helpful to others with similar issues.

I used a little program called Nextup text to audio which can be found at http://www.nextup.com/TextAloud/SpeechE ... oices.html there is a free trial version also it is reported full versions can be "found" in various corners of the internet. There are various voices and languages available, personally I like the UK female voices.

I originally found this program years ago when I was taking college classes and working two jobs. I used to scan my text books into the computer convert the scans to PDF and let my computer read my text to me.

There is also part of the program that can convert the audio to sound file. I'd like to suggest that this may be a good way to create youtube episodes of the novels and other works. This may be a very good way of reaching others as lethargy is epidemic and reading an actual book is a monumental challenge for the Jersey shore crowd. The idea could be "advertized" as an audio e-book in chapter formant.

I did think about doing the conversions and youtube posts myself, but need to ask the author's permission first and I must admit ignorance of the legal ramifications.

Of course the ideal format for an audiobook and "public relations" would be for a white female to read the texts as it would keep limited attention focused.

Thanks for the read any thoughts would be great.

andydonner
Site Admin

Re: It may be cheating? Novels and other books

Post by andydonner »

Cheating? Well, I can't honestly call it that, but we've always had the concern that people will content themselves to listen to the books over and over again during their commute to their crap jobs in lieu of actual migration. Super-busy is one thing, but I'm honestly not sure I like the idea of audio books being available (despite someone having already recorded HotR) since it opens up the material to people who would use it when they're not actually willing to read (as opposed to having legitimate time issues). As heartless as that sounds, the Party will end up fielding even more junk from people that are absolutely not who we need to talk to (yourself excluded on the basis of your explanation).

I'm really up in the air when it comes to ideas like this. AFAIK, Mr. Covington is fine with people doing what they like with the material he's provided and this is certainly a valid application of this permission. More exposure to a different crowd is always desirable and I can't fault people coming up with project ideas like this one. And I do mean that, despite my repeated cautions against them. The motivations to lowering the barrier to entry are the right ones, but I'm not completely sure the goal is desirable. Exceptions like this one are what prove the rule. Unless someone has an absurdly awful lack of time (such as you having been in school with two jobs), claiming such a lack of time is usually a good sign they're not up for what we're offering.

Just my 0.02 ZOGbucks.

Nevertheless, that was fairly resourceful of you.
A. W. Donner

HAC

Post by HAC »

There was a young man in Louisiana who read the first chapter of The Hill of the Ravens and did a passable job of it, but he went dark on us. No idea where he is now or what he's doing.

TomRennick

Post by TomRennick »

"There was a young man in Louisiana who read the first chapter of The Hill of the Ravens and did a passable job of it, but he went dark on us."
I used to work as a professional book recordist years ago, recording books (fiction & non-fiction) to be listened to by the blind. That's what's needed, but you will likely have to pay, since it's hard, tedious work.

Anyway, is this the photo you want reworked? I can deliver, just give me some idea as to image - either this one or something else.

TR

Ianbell

Post by Ianbell »

The current best text to speech software is Text Speaker. It has customizable pronunciation, reads anything on your screen, and it even has talking reminders. The bundled voices are well priced and sound very human. Easily converts blogs, email, audio books, and more to MP3 for listening on the go.

andydonner
Site Admin

Post by andydonner »

Ianbell wrote:The current best text to speech software is Text Speaker. It has customizable pronunciation, reads anything on your screen, and it even has talking reminders. The bundled voices are well priced and sound very human. Easily converts blogs, email, audio books, and more to MP3 for listening on the go.
Apologies for the years-late approval of this post. Despite my manual searches for these things, the board doesn't always make it evident that posts require moderation.
A. W. Donner